Tuesday 1 May 2012

Standard First Aid Course from 5 April to 10 April

I attended the 3 days First Aid course in April, from 9am to 6pm. Before I went for the course,  my colleagues have told me about the theory and practical tests on the last day,  meaning I must pay attention in class. You must pass the theory before you can proceed to take practical. Theory test passing mark is 18 out of 30 ( 30 MCQ , 60% to pass ). If you fail the theory in the 1st attempt, you are allowed to retake on the same day. If you fail again, must attend extra lesson and take the 2 tests within 1 month. 


First Aid Manual
I am most glad to attend the course with another colleague, RY. RY used to join Red Cross in her Secondary School days, so she became my personal tutor for the 3 day course. My course mates ( about 20 of us ) came from all walks of life, some are receptionists in shopping centre, cashiers from Shop & Save, a few from transport industry, 2 from child care centre , another from clinic etc.  On the first day, we were given the training notes , face shield ( for CPR ), triangular and roller bandage. We learnt different types of bandaging for hand and head, how to do CPR and action taken to help a person who has choked, all in a day ! I must confess that my hands are only good for marking, extremely clumsy when I comes to hands on stuff. Luckily I had a personal tutor to guide me along and after the first lesson, I went home and practise over the weekend. CPR was another challenge for me, I was breathless after applying 2 rounds of CPR to the dummy, its extremely exhausting. We continued to practise on the 2nd day and the tutor covered all the theory within 2 days. On the 3rd day, morning we did revision, after lunch we took the theory test.  The revision MCQ was so much easier than the actual test. I managed to score 29/30 ( managed to make quite a number of intelligent guess ), next we moved on to practical test. We were tested on bandaging and CPR. Each of us worked together with a partner based on the scenario given by the tester. We got the card size certificate after passing the assessments, valid for 3 years.


This first aid course is very useful , will encourage all those who are not afraid of blood to sign up. 

No comments: