Sunday 3 November 2013

Shape Run 2013


After much consideration, I have signed up for the 5 km Shape Run with A. Initially the run was in July but was postponed to 27 Oct due to the haze.  As it was my 1st run, I have planned to train for it, start with 2.4 km, then to 3 km , slowly increase to 4 km and finally 5 km. Unfortunately I was overwhelmed with work ( good excuse ) and my training stopped at 3 km, just a few days before the run.  Somehow I seem to think that miracle will happen and I can complete my run easily. 

The night before the race, I started to pray for the rain, secretly hoping that the run will be cancelled. ZH told me he can grant my wish by switching off my alarm.
10 km starts at 6.30am, 5 km at 7am

On the morning, the weather was cooling. The event was well organised  bag deposit service was available. There were more than enough mobile toilets and the area was spacious. We took photos before the run.


Before the run
A was telling me before the run that she will be walking, so hearing this made me feel less stressful, in fact I was thinking should I wait for A if she starts walking.  This turned out to be a joke ! A is much taller than me, being a shorty is really at a disadvantage when it comes to long distance running. 1 step made by A is equivalent to my 3 steps !
Warm up before starting
After the 1st km, A was already ahead of me, I continued to run till 2 km . I thought I will not stop running due to peer pressure and the many photographers around. To my surprise, I stopped at the 2km drink station to take a sip.  After drinking I continued to run, trying to catch up with A, of course I failed to do so. But the catching up spirit is always in my mind, at 3 km I stopped again and the pacers overtook me. I continued to search for A and thinking where should I stop and walk again. So at 4 km I stopped again and was hoping to see the U-turn back to the finishing point.

At last I reached the finishing point , behind the pacers, exactly 37 min. I was rather surprised ( due to my low expectation ) , I thought I will take longer as I stopped for at least 3 times to walk . I got my finisher’s medal and went searching for A.
The medal and my number tag
It was a pleasant experience. We have decided to sign up for 2 runs next year and 4 runs in 2015. Our target distance is 10 km. MP who is going to be my Minton neighbour said she wanted to join me for the run, sigh I better start training now to prepare for the runs with both of them.

No comments: